Friday, November 13, 2009

How well does God know You?

In these troubled times we live in, there are so many who feel alone and abandoned. Whether the abandonment is an actual fact or just a feeling does not make it any easier to live with, and these feelings directly affect the way we view ourselves and others. It also directly affects our beliefs about how God sees us.

Men and women of God throughout history have also felt forsaken - abandoned. Even Jesus as He died on the cross cried out "My God, My God! Why hast thou forsaken Me?"

If you have been feeling like you are abandoned- maybe even by God Himself, let me reassure you that while people may abandon you, He hasn't and never will.

I watch my daughter with her baby (in the picture on the right), and I see a glimpse of the Father's love for those who are His. My daughter constantly watches over her baby girl- sometimes just smiling and watching her as she sleeps. So blessed that it's her baby- so proud of every milestone that is passed...writing every event on the calendar;

  • today you laughed for the first time!
  • today you had cake for the first time!
  • today you stood up all by yourself!
  • this month you will have your first birthday!
She is intimately involved in her daughter's life- continuously loving her, teaching her, playing with her, always enjoying her. Her daughter hasn't done anything to deserve this love. She didn't need to. All she had to do was be born into the family.

Likewise, we don't have to try to earn or somehow deserve God's love and care. We are His- born into His family...and because we are His dear children, He is intimately involved in our lives and acquainted with us.

Psalm 139:1-4 gives us an idea of just how intimately God is involved in our lives and how well He knows us ;

"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.

You know when I sit and when I rise;
You perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down;
You are familiar with all my ways.

Before a word is on my tongue,
You know it completely, O Lord."

Just as I know that my daughter could never abandon her little girl, likewise God would never abandon His children. Isaiah 49:15 says it this way:

"Can a woman forget her nursing child,
and not have compassion on the son of her womb?

Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you."


Rest secure in God's promise- that He will never leave you nor forsake you.

No comments: